Sending emails via Google Gmail or Google Worspace
This information applies to users with a personal Gmail account (the email address ends with @gmail.com) and users with a Google Worskpace account (the email address is based on your domain name.) In both cases the technology is identical and referred to as Gmail in this document.
1st Step: Configure your Gmail account
When using Gmail to send emails from College Office, you must setup 2-factor authentication in your Google Gmail account and then generate an "application password" to be used by College Office in place of your actual password. The steps are as follows:
- Log in to your Google account: Account > Security
- Under the section Signing in to Google click App passwords, then sign in again to confirm it's you.
- Scroll down to Select app, click on the drop-down box and select Other (custom name). Give this app password a name, e.g. "College Office" and then click Generate. Copy the generated password: this is the password you will use in College Office.
- See video tutorial
2nd Step: Configure College Office
From within College Office click Setup -> My Institution -> Custom and then click on each of the following fields to set their value:
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port: 587
- SMTP Encrypted: Yes
- SMTP Account: enter the email address of your Gmail account.
- SMTP Password: enter the application password that was previously generated for College Office.
- Email From: enter the email address of your Gmail account
Comment or report problem with topic