Sending emails via Google Gmail or Google Worspace
This information applies to users with a personal Gmail account (the email address ends with @gmail.com) and users with a Google Worskpace account (the email address is based on your domain name.) In both cases the technology is identical and referred to as Gmail in this document.
When using Gmail to send emails from College Office, you must setup 2-factor authentication in your Google Gmail account and then generate an "application password" to be used by College Office in place of your actual password. The steps are as follows:
- Log in to your Google account: Account > Security
- Under the section Signing in to Google click App passwords, then sign in again to confirm it's you.
- Scroll down to Select app, click on the drop-down box and select Other (custom name). Give this app password a name, e.g. "College Office" and then click Generate. Copy the generated password: this is the password you will use in College Office.
- See video tutorial
From within College Office click Setup -> My Institution -> Custom and then click on each of the following fields to set their value:
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port: 587
- SMTP Encrypted: Yes
- SMTP Account: enter the email address of your Gmail account.
- SMTP Password: enter the application password that was previously generated for College Office.
- Email From: enter the email address of your Gmail account
Comment or report problem with topic