KNOWLEDGE BASE -> Online Registration
This module is optional: contact us if you would like to subscribe to it.
Online Registration allows your students to register online for the classes of an upcoming term. College Office can guide the students by showing them which classes are recommended based on the curriculum of their program of study and the classes they have already passed or transferred. (Check the Edit Program Requirement help topic for more details on how you can define the curriculum of your programs in order to enable this feature.) Once students have selected their classes, either for credit or for audit, College Office automatically bills them according to the Registration Fee (Credit or Audit as applicable), Late Registration Fee (Credit or Audit as applicable), Credit Fees and Audit Fees of that term. The system provides quite a bit of flexibility to handle discounts and various levels of credit or audit fees. College Office determines the amount due at registration based on whether the student is paying in full (with the option of a discount) or via a payment plan. The online registration is finalized once the student pays the due amount online from within College Office. Students can also come back and adjust their selection as long as the term is open for registration.
- College Office is currently only taking into account registration fee, late registration fee (if applicable), credit fees and audit fees when computing what a student owes at registration. We will provide more flexibility in a future release so that other fees can also be automatically included. For now those extra fees can always be added in College Office to each student account by the finance office.
- College Office lets you record the payment due dates of the student payment plan of a term. Currently, the system only uses this information to determine the number of payments of the payment plan (which is the number of dates you record plus one, the "one" being for the payment students make at registration.) In a future release College Office will also use this information to automatically process recurring payments.
- Open an account with Braintree (a PayPal subsidiary). Once your account has been open, record your Braintree issued Merchant ID, Public Key and Private Key into the fields of the same name on the Custom page of the My Institution screen. Set the Environment field to PRODUCTION.
- Set your Payment Service to Braintree Payments in the Settings page of the Edit My Institution screen.
- watch video on opening a Braintree account, watch video on retrieving your Braintree keys
- Open an account with Authorize.Net (a Visa subsidiary). Once your account has been open, record your Authorize.Net issued API Login ID and API Transaction Key into the Merchant ID and Public Key fields on the Custom page of the My Institution screen. Set the Environment field to PRODUCTION.
- Set your Payment Service to Authorize.Net Payments in the Settings page of the Edit My Institution screen.
- Note: you can also use the Online Registration module without opening a Braintree or Authorize.Net account, but this means that College Office will let a student finalize their Online Registration without collecting any payment. In this case set Payment Service to Disabled in the Settings page of the Edit My Institution screen.
- We can assist you with this process, contact us if you need help.
- If your Credit Fee and Audit Fee are the same for all courses, then you are set, but if you need more flexibility, then decide how many "levels" your fee structure will have. You may consider having a level 0 for all courses which do not incur a cost, a level 1 for all courses which are priced at the standard cost and a level 2 for courses which have a higher per credit fee. Then review each course and assign to each the correct Fee Level via the Edit Course screen (all courses have their Fee Level set to 1 by default.)
Fees can change from term to term, that's why they need to be defined to each term.
- Go to the Fees page of the term you are configuring and follow the instructions in the help topic to enter the Registration Fee, Late Registration Fee, Credit Fee and Audit Fee for the term. Record the Registration Fee - Credit Student, Registration Fee - Audit Student, Late Registration Fee - Credit Student and Late Registration Fee - Audit Student fee amounts and specify if those fees can be discounted or not. Record the Credit and Audit fee amounts for each fee level you use and specify for each if they can be discounted or not and if they have a maximum number of billable units. Check the Edit Fee help topic for a description of the properties that apply to a fee.
- Use the same page to record the Payment Due Dates of the payment plan for that term.
- If your students are eligible for certain discounts, record their discounts via the Discounts page of the Student Financial Records screen. (Discounts are cumulative and only applied to fees which can be discounted.)
- Record the Discount for full payment which students receive for paying in full (if applicable) via the Custom page of the Term screen. (Discounts are cumulative and only applied to fees which can be discounted.)
- Record the Registration Start date, Late Registration date and Registration End date via the Edit Term screen. The term will automatically become open for registration on the Registration Start date and be closed for registration on the Registration End date. Students who register after the Late Registration date will incur a Late Registration Fee on top of their regular Registration Fee.
- see video
Comment or report problem with topic