Check our video tutorial on importing records for an example of how this works.
Batch Imports are used to import documents that contain a batch of records into College Office. The type of records you can import into College Office depend on the Import Template you select when creating a Batch Import record.
This form lets you review former batch imports and create new ones.
- Created: date the Batch Import record was created
- Document: name of the document imported
- Template: name of the Import Template used to import the document.
- Uploaded: date & time the document was last uploaded & parsed.
- Processed: date & time when the document was last processed for import.
- Status: status of the import process. Possible values are Pending if document was parsed but not processed, Verified if document was verified but not yet imported, Imported if document was successfully imported, Imported With Errors if document was imported but errors occurred and Invalid Parameter if document could not be processed because of an invalid parameter.
- Records: number of records that were imported.
To import a new document into College Office:
- Click the button on the lower right.
- Select the Template and the document to import. The document contains the records to import (in a text file with comma separated values) and the Template informs College Office how to read and interpret the document. Make sure you have already created an Import Template that matches the format of the document you want to import! (check the Import Templates topic).)
- Click the Save button on the upper right corner: this will cause College Office to read and parse the document (without importing any record yet) and to open a 3 pages form that will display the results. Go to the Parameters page to record parameter values required by the Import Template (click on the parameter to record its value).
- Go to the Parsed Data page to review and verify the data that was parsed.
- On the left is a list of all the lines that were parsed. Click on a line to see the parsed values in the middle section of the form Columns of selected line. You can filter the lines according to their status, to whether or not they have a warning (a ! after the line number) and to their position.
- Line: line number. If the line is followed by !, it means one of the columns of that line contains invalid data which will be ignored by the import.
- Status: import status of the line
- Imported: date and time when the line was imported into College Office if applicable. This date & time will match the date and time of the corresponding record(s) that was/were created in College Office
- Note: message that explains was the line could not be imported if applicable.
- In the middle section is a list that shows all the columns/fields of the selected line. If the line had a warning, then one or more column/filed(s) will be displayed as having invalid data. You can click any column/field to edit the content of its associated cell if necessary.
- On the right is a list that shows how the template matches fields with column numbers. You can edit the template by clicking the Edit Template button on the lower right if you have administrator rights: this may be useful the first time you import a file with this template and you need to make sue the template matches the file format.
- Click the Verify button on the lower right: College Office will verify the data without importing any record.
In the example above:
- The first line is ignored as specified by the Import Template
- The 2nd line is rejected because there is no individual in College Office with the same first name, last name and last 4 digits of the SSN
- The 3rd line is rejected because it has a warning on a required field (the transaction date is invalid)
- The 4th line is Ok and should be imported without any problem.
You can correct the data and re-run Verifiy as often as needed. You can filter the lines by Status or by Warning to help you in the process.
- Click the Import button: College Office will import the lines that had successfully passed the verification process. Lines which have been imported have the blue Imported status. You may re-run Import as often as needed, the lines already imported will not be imported again.
Comment or report problem with topic